Up-cycled Book Shelf
- 2 or 3 Large but lightweight hardback books
- 2 to 4 2 ½ in L-Brackets for mounting
- Paint (optional)
- Glue (Tacky, Wood, or Hot Glue)
- White School Glue
- Small Drill bit
- Screw Driving Attachment
- Protective Eyewear, etc…
- Select 2 or 3 large, but lightweight hardback books. Use themed books to give it a unique touch. Glue book pages together by brushing white school glue on the outside of the pages. You do not have to glue each page together individually. Let the books dry thoroughly before continuing to the next step.
- Use hot glue, tacky glue, or wood glue to glue your 2-3 large books together, cover to cover, aligning the spines together. This will create the actual shelf. Let the books dry thoroughly before continuing to the next step.
- Place the L-brackets in desired location. Use a pencil to trace the hole for drilling.Slowly and Carefully drill holes through the book, taking extra care not to drill completely through. During the craft program, we placed a scrap block of wood underneath to prevent this.
- Place the brackets back over the holes, and use the screw driving drill head to place the screws into the bookshelf. You will want to exercise caution as the books will want to twist around with the drill.
- If desired, use paint, glitter, or other craft items to customize your up-cycled bookshelf.