Type: Part Time
Supervisor: Maintenance Supervisor
Application Procedure: Online only. No paper applications accepted.
Custodians are responsible for cleaning and maintaining library facilities and grounds to ensure the safety of staff and patrons.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- The ability to meet scheduled hours with rare absences; includes evenings and weekends
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Six months to one year of custodial experience
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office applications, email, the library automation system, and the Internet
- Perform duties with the goal of good customer services to internal and external customers
- Requires the ability to gain the cooperation and accept the ideas of others as well as the ability to resolve conflicts.
- Obtain an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) card
- Commitment to excellence in customer service and representing the library in a positive manner
- Ensure library facilities are clean, operational and safe
- Performs general custodial work inside and outside library facilities: e.g. floor and building care, painting, trash removal and day-to-day cleaning procedures
- Maintains high safety standards and complies with safety rules and regulations
- Seasonal groundskeeping including landscaping, weeding, shrubbery trimming, sweeping and removal of snow from walkways
- Work with contractors
- Maintains inventory control of maintenance supplies and material safety data sheets (MSDS) Inspects furniture and equipment on monthly basis
- Assist supervisor on safety issues to insure that OSHA/BWC standards are followed
- Other Duties as Assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to make sound decisions
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance
- Knowledge of occupational safety and health guidelines, accident prevention, and a commitment to a safe work environment
- Knowledge of basic library operations
- Oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with diverse staff, contractors, and the public
- Ability to plan, coordinate and accomplish work in a timely manner
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to operate power tools and custodial equipment
- Knowledge of basic library operations
- The ability to handle and maintain confidential and sensitive information, accessing such information for legitimate library business only
- Knowledge of and compliance with library policies and procedures
- The ability to work cooperatively and effectively with other staff members and library departments Knowledge of and compliance with emergency and safety policies and procedures
- The ability to deal with frequent interruptions in work and move among various tasks effectively The ability to learn and implement current and emerging technologies
- Good driving record and access to a vehicle
- Building cleaning/maintenance experience
- Driver’s License and access to reliable transportation / vehicle
- Update job-related knowledge and skills through continuing education workshops, webinars, conferences and staff development activities
- Significant physical and manual mobility and dexterity required
- Involves moderately unpleasant situations, as with occasional exposure to dust or fumes
- May be required to spend considerable time working in outdoor environment
- Computer work less than 20%.
- May be exposed to hazards such as chemicals and blood borne pathogens.
- Regularly required to talk and/or hear within normal ranges
- The ability to respond to alarms and communicate safety information to patrons and staff
- Visual acuity for sustained use of computer monitor
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive or as an employment agreement between the employer and employee. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change. Incumbents may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this document. Any essential functions of this position will be evaluated as necessary should an applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant when possible.