What is Homebound Services
- This service was created to allow patrons access to library materials when they are unable to visit the library due to health restrictions or disabilities
- This service helps local Nursing Homes and other care facilities, throughout Scioto County, to help supplement their collections of materials in order to provide additional recreation to their residents
- Patrons will fill out a Library/Homebound Application that will start the sign-up process for the service and will also give PPL staff information on how to fulfill their library needs
- Staff will place holds on items based on the patron’s requests or based on genres indicated on their application
- Items are delivered once a month
What materials can I get through this service?
Patrons who receive this service have access to the following materials and services…
- Books (Adult & Juvenile Titles)
- Movies (Adult & Juvenile Titles)
- Audio Books
- Magazines (Print & Digital)
- Online Databases
- eBooks through the Ohio Digital Library
Are there any limitations to this service?
Due to the nature of this service, patrons will not have access to the following…
- Ability to check out materials from within a physical library location
- Access to computers within a physical location
- Access to place items on hold through PPL’s online catalog
How can I sign up to be on the waiting list?
- Contact the Homebound Department at (740) 354-5413
- Contact any Portsmouth Public Library location
- Email the library
- Patrons can leave their name and contact information with staff and they will be added to the waiting list
- Once an opening is available, staff will contact the next patron on the waiting list
Are there any options for me until I can use this service?
- Patrons can visit the library to get a card (photo ID and proof of address required) and can designate a proxy to pick items up for them (call ahead and staff can make accommodations to meet you in the parking lot if necessary)
- Patrons with card can download digital materials through the Ohio Digital Library
- Patrons can apply through the library for the Talking Books program to receive a digital books player and books. This program is funded by the State of Ohio