Obtaining a Library Card
All persons who wish to borrow materials from the Library must obtain a library card. The library card must be presented each time materials are borrowed. A picture ID may be accepted in lieu of a library card one time before a replacement card will be required.
The following persons may obtain a Portsmouth Public Library card by presenting valid identification:
- Ohio Residents
- Kentucky Residents from Greenup and Lewis Counties
- Students attending educational institutions in Scioto County
Valid identification for persons 18 years and older will be defined as a valid state or federal issued picture ID such as a valid driver’s license or valid state identification card and proof of current address. Responsible Party must present a valid picture ID and proof of current address to obtain a card for children under the age of 18. In some instances, official paperwork may be required to establish juvenile/adult relationships.
A library card-holder may have a maximum of up to 25 items at any one time on their card. A total of ten (10) DVDs may be borrowed on an Adult card and a total of five (5) DVDs may be borrowed on a Juvenile card.
Materials Circulation Periods are:
- Regular and New Books: 28 days
- New Author Reserve Books, Magazines, Holiday Books and Audiobooks: 14 days
- DVDs: 7 days
- Quick Picks: 7 days
- Wifi Hotspots: 21 days, Adult card only, Limit 1 on adult card, no renewals, $100 lost fee and $1.00 per day overdue fines
- Leap Pads: 21 days, Adult card only, Limit 1 on adult card, no holds, no renewals, $100 lost fee and $1.00 per day overdue fines
- All Bookmobile materials have a circulation period of twenty-eight (28) days.
Library items may be renewed up to three (3) times. Items with holds and items on an Educator’s card cannot be renewed.
Damage Fees: Minimal and Repairable Damage – $3.00 per item / Non-repairable and total damage – replacement cost of item (patron may have item upon full payment unless disposed of due to health and safety issues)
Lost Fees: Replacement cost of item
Replacement Library Card Fees: Initial Library Card: Free / Replacement Card: $2.00
Any library card with:
- More than three (3) overdue items will be blocked until items are returned.
- A balance of more than $5.00 will be blocked until it is paid below $5.00.
- Items overdue more than 21 days will be charged replacement costs of the items until the materials are returned in good condition.